Monday, July 27, 2015

That Is Some "Gouda" Mac and Cheese

It is the final stretch before we come back to California. A few days ago, my parents went camping and were lamenting the over-the-top heat that Lake Shasta has to offer. While I would have agreed with them wholeheartedly this time last year, by now, 82 degrees seems like a nice, cool day. In fact, as I walked to Wyatt this morning, I commented on how nice the weather was, and Katherine murmured that it was 83 degrees.

As we entered the class, Monte announced that we would be going over Pharmaceuticalization throughout the week to finish the class. She had Zach hand out two packets, "Education and Debate" by Ray Moynihan and David Henry and "The Nation" by Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels. After I made it through those, I read a bit of the chapters that we skipped from “The Illness Narratives” as I waited for our next activity. We then watched a short documentary about pharmaceuticalization, which covered a lot of the things that I already had read in the packet. Maybe I was not supposed to read the second one? Oh well. The film also mentioned how much more likely an American doctor would be to prescribe medicines, since the medical system in Europe is a lot stricter. Shortly after the movie was over, we were all assigned a random drug to research, and compose a five minute presentation on.

I will probably get farther into the specifics of that tomorrow, as I still need to finish composing the presentation tonight. When we got back from lunch, we walked into an empty classroom. Apparently Monte was feeling ill, so she went home to rest. Zach took the class to the computer lab so that we could fill out the extensive questionnaire associated with the assignment. I worked from 1 until 4, pushing through the breaks so that I could get as much done as possible. The drug that I am working on, Fosamax, was practically taken off of the market due to its severe side effects, and that even though it was a drug meant to fight osteoporosis, many patients found that they were more susceptible to fractures after little or no trauma. One user even reported that she stood up after dinner on Christmas Eve, and fractured her tibia.

During the last week of the program we do not have any Arete classes, so we went into free time. I spent most of my time talking to Victoria as I waited for Jenny to come pick up the cohort for dinner. On the way to Broadway Street, I taught Gwennie the alphabet in sign language, just like Katherine had done for me last week. I managed to confuse both of us with the differences between D and F, and now she is doomed to mix them up, just like I am. We walked around Broadway looking at random restaurants playing live music and stores that sell cowboy boots until it was time for our reservation at Puckett’s. We listened to Lacy Green play as we had our wonderful dinner, and looked out at the lights of Nashville.
And of course we had dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Translate